Sunday, February 24, 2013

Putting the "H" in Hardpack

February 17, 2013

I got a little behind on the blogging. Between work, trying to finish up this record project, and everything, it just wasn't the top priority.

Conditions today were ideal for racing. FIS people would have loved it. A thin sheen of dust on top of blue ice. Makes for fast running, but isn't my favorite. I knew what to expect and pulled out the trusty K2's--the go-to choice for bulletproof conditions.

Diane came up today since it was the first sunny day at the mountain in a while. We had a good time.
















The fog rolls off of Odell Lake making for beautiful scenery.














They're finally getting the park dialed in. Dylan taps the spool.















Riding up Twilight.















Nose grab!
















 Method!















Diane on By George.



It was the annual fundraiser for the WARP team (Willamette Alpine Racing Program). I ran the race a few years back; I didn't even know it was happening. Randy Rogers, the key instigator of our economic study and Ski Oregon Board Member, invited me to forerun on the second run. I was pretty stoked to get the honor of going down before everyone else. The conditions were ideal--hardpack softened up just the right amount and a course that suits my style.

I also told Randy that we needed to leave by 1:45 since Dylan had to be to work by 4. So, I inspected the course and went to the start at 1:25. I was all set to go mentally; then they informed me the would be starting at 2:00 with forerunners at 1:55. Alas, I had to bail. I wasn't too broke up about it, but it sure would have been fun. Next year.

The fog was rolling in a bit by the time we were wrapping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment