Monday, January 20, 2014

Steamboat Bound

January 2, 2014

Kayla took a job last Friday with Interwest and starts work on January 6th in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. So...I got an unscheduled trip out east. The upside is that Colorado has snow.

Willamette Pass does not. It's been an odd fall and early winter in Western Oregon.A high pressure ridge has been stuck on top of us for weeks. That creates a temperature inversion in Eugene...which makes it cold (30s) and foggy pretty much all the time. Its rather depressing.

To make things worse, as soon as you get out of the valley it gets sunny and unseasonably warm. Its been consistently in the 50s at The Pass and the little snow we got in early December is mostly gone. What are you gonna do? Complain I guess.

We got 8" of snow on December 6th at the house. I was pretty much stuck on the flatlands since I took Diane's car to work without the studs on. Big mistake. Kayla and Dylan bailed me out at the Market of Choice parking lot. The lugs were frozen so it took considerable effort to get the wheels changed. Kayla's Subaru had no problem in the snow.

We went down to the Cleveland Street Winter Sports Area after dark. Lots of others had that idea too...it was like a little party down by the old homestead.

Dylan tests out the skate/ski.



















Kayla crashes into the bushes.

















Snow puppies!























Fun was had by all.

Kayla and I left for Steamboat on January 2nd. We got a little bit of a late start since I left my boots at Berg's when I went and picked up my new skis. More about those later.

Burns, Oregon.





 Kayla driving.























Back into the fog near the Malheur River east of Burns.


















We made it to Ogden, Utah around 11pm. If we had more time I would have planned a half-day at Powder Basin. But...we must forge onward to destination:Steamboat.

No comments:

Post a Comment