Saturday, April 30, 2016

Closing Day at The Pass

Sunday, April 10, 2016
Willamette Pass
Closing Day, 2015-16 Season

Well, then.  The end of the season snuck up faster than I had anticipated.  I've only used three of the five days on my five-day pass, so I need to get two days worth of skiing in one day since I neglected to read the fine print on my pass that says the tickets are non-transferrable and the chances of Willamette honoring a day next year approach zero.

I talked my friend and colleague Karl into coming up today. He's the Environmental Services Manager at the Eugene Water and Electric Board and has probably done more around land and water conservation for our area than anyone.  I've been working with Karl for seven years on source water protection activities and some very interesting strategies around incentives.  If that's of interest, you can find out more here. A bunch of my work is posted on the site.

Since the kids moved, I need to assemble a new ski crew.  All of my old crew are still in Colorado and I try to ski with them whenever I'm out there. I don't know that many people that ski here and the ones I do live a long way away. Karl is a great skier and was pretty much up for anything.

Back to skiing.  A perfect closing day--temps in the 50s and excellent spring snow conditions.  The crowd was thin, and as we would later learn, about half the people there were ski patrol.



















Karl checks out Waldo Lake in the distance.















Where's Waldo? There it is!




Mt. Bachelor.




Karl creams the corn.
















Diamond Peak.















Odell Lake.




















There I am, pushing hard as ever.







All in all, an excellent closing day.  We mashed the corn until about 2pm when it started getting pretty sticky and then called it.  A great day of skiing with a good friend.  I'm hoping we'll get some powder days in next season.

I don't know if I'll get back out this season--it would have to be at Batchelor or Hood--all the other areas are closed.  We'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment