Monday, February 18, 2019

Hookey Again...

Willamette Pass Resort
Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I was at the Oregon Wine Symposium in Portland yesterday tabling for our research project on the size and impact of wineries and vineyards in Oregon.  I was supposed to stay and table on Wednesday--which was disappointing given the forecast. As it turned out, I screwed up my hotel reservation and the rate they wanted for the hotel room was more than I could get reimbursed for.  So, I decided my colleague could cover and drove home.

That meant I had a pretty blank schedule today.  I got up at 6 and checked the snow conditions - they reported 14".  I was conspiring with ski buddy Ethan and on of our grad assistants Andrew to go up.  I met Ethan at the appointed location (LCC parking lot) at 7am.  He said he had a meeting in the afternoon and had to leave at 11.  That wasn't going to work for me.  Andrew arrived a few minutes later and caught a ride up with me.

Jeff Sessions made the management post new rules. No drugs.  No drug? At a ski area? ha!  We'll see how well that works. 

















We got stuck in the ticket line and ended up on about the 10th chair.  The crowd was much larger today than last Wednesday.  Word is clearly getting out.



















The first few runs were very fun - the snow was consolidated underneath so it skied lighter than it should have. The trees were amazing.

I had a business call at 10 that I needed to be on so I went back to the car and dialed in.  The call went well and I got to watch the parking lot hounds while I worked.


















That finished and I went back out.  I broke trail on Cherokee Ridge.  Conditions were great in there.  I followed a guy in on the second run down, making me first and third.  It was still amazing.























 Hours later, and we're still hitting untracked lines.  Most of the rest of the area was tracked out, but I've got the stashes that last all day.


















Andrew makes tracks in the pristine woods.







































The snow started quickly consolidating just after 2.  It was amazing how much a 2 degree temperature increase affected conditions.  We did a couple more laps and called it quits around 3.

Overall, a great day.  We're back into winter conditions and more snow is on the way.









No comments:

Post a Comment