Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fun.



Fun. No doubt about it, snow sports are fun. Regardless of the weather, the conditions, or the crowds, a day on the snow is better than just about any other day.

I'm not sure why, perhaps it's because skiing is such a ridiculous activity. Why should putting your feet in a pair of vices and then lashing 6' long boards and hurling yourself down a snow covered mountain be so much fun? To start, I think it has a lot to do with gravity. Every run is like an unscripted thrill ride. Kind of like a roller coaster where you have complete control (hopefully). Only better. Speed, slope, and gravity all combine to make it one thrill after another.

Not quite the terminal gravity rush that skydiving might provide, but it is what you make it. When I was younger, 30' cliffs were fun. Now, if I get tired and can ski tomorrow, I call that fun. 45 degrees and sunshine on the last day of January... fun. Riding with my wife and son, and his buddy Marty... fun. Watching Dylan smash the barrel while attempting a tap... hilarious fun. Telling stories of the day on the ride back... great fun.

Even if you're not a seasoned expert, it's still fun.

Diane is having fun taking Eagle's Flight to Odell Lake.

Dylan is having fun doing the "jump over Diamond Peak" grab.

And the "scale a tree on your board" contest.

If that's not enough fun, add a little rainbow butter.

The man in black (evil me) must certainly be having fun.

Here's the Orange Army marching off to fun snow city...

Sometimes you fall off the rail and hammer your knee. I'm pretty sure that's a little less fun.

Look, I'm smiling. I must be having fun.

Watching the beginners take out the "slow" signs down by the lift. Fun. Chatting with fellow enthusiasts on the lift. Fun. Watching the kids break themselves on the gigantic jumps. Not as much fun. Mashing moguls on a 35 degree slope on a sunny day in January. Double fun. Chatting with my wife and son on the lift rides. Fun. Seeing the smiles on everyone's faces. Fun!

If Sheryl Crow really wanted to have fun, she would have headed for the mountain. Girls that just wanna have fun... go skiing. And like Commander Cody says: too much fun! Little Feat (one of my faves) says you can't have too much fun. Just add snow.

The gorgeous scenery is the icing on the funnel cake from the happy fun snow bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment