Sunday, April 5, 2009

Winding Down.

Yesterday set a pretty high bar. It was a difficult act to follow. Yet, the snow comes in many forms.

As the 2008-09 season winds down, it's worth a little reflection. In the program I run at the University of Oregon, reflection is a big part of our pedagogical method. I also engage in a fair amount of professional reflection: am I doing what I want to be doing? What I should be doing? Is what I'm doing effective?

That is a rather pedantic lead in to my reflections on this season. Anyway, I'm not going to share my reflections now--the season isn't over. What I want to reflect on is a simple question.

Why?

Or, alternatively stated: Why do I ski? Why do others ski? What is it about this activity that I'm drawn to? Why do I write so much in this damn blog?

Of course skiing is fun, but it's worth considering whether there is more to it than that. There is for me, but I'll save my response to that question for a future post.

If you visit me at my University of Oregon office, you'll notice this hanging on the board outside:

I love this. I don't have the source, but I think it came out of a USDA Forest Service report from the early 1980s. Non-skiers... no interest... no experience. Let's bowl! Give me a lounge chair, a TV and a pack of smokes and it's all good. Anyway, it's just a phase I'm going through.

So, what makes so eight percent of us Active Skiers? Why do we choose to ski, when bowling is so much more accessible (and not just for the young and the wealthy)? Why don't we power lounge like all those other "non-participants." What's so great about snow sports, anyway? It's pretty ridiculous when you consider it--strapping on boards and hurtling down a snow covered mountain... In short, why do we have The Love?

I'm interested foremost in responses from my family--particularly my daughter who chose to move to Steamboat Springs to become a professional snowboard instructor--but also from my wife and son. And my sisters. And my parents, who introduced me to snow sports at the same time they introduced themselves. And all my cousins. And all my ski pals--both past and present.

Please post your responses in the comments section. It's free! and easy! no subscription necessary; no extra charge. Yep, it's just a click away. I thank you in advance.

Whew! That's enough introspection for now. Let's talk about today.

Diane, Dylan and I went up again today. The earth was definitely tilting in Spring's favor today (see post cf March 29). The season is winding down. In fact, today could be the last decent day. We'll see what next weekend holds--Dylan is emphatic that we go no matter what. I still have the love; I'm there.

What a difference one day makes. Winter gave way to Spring. It was sunny and getting warm. Diane rippin' on her "hunka hunka" burning luvs.

I went out on the tele-bombers.

Long time pal Pete has donated a pair of tele's to my cause. I'm looking forward to leaving the K2 Piste Off's behind.

Dylan contemplates. Why?

A shadow is not quite a reflection, but it's similar. Think about it.

I'll be back next weekend for the exciting season finale of "For the Love of Snow."

Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment