Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The 7th Day

Today was the 7th day we went up this season--at least Dylan and I. Diane had to work :-(.

Our season kicked into high gear today: 12" of fresh (at least according to the snow report), which was more like 12"-15" depending on where you went. We were accompanied by Andre--who we abandoned in the parking lot. Andre boarded today, and the reports were positive. It was also the day I left the memory card for the camera in the SD slot on my computer... so no pix from me. Fortunately, Andre took a few with his iPhone.

Swoosh!

Andre quit early (2pm) because his $14 boots weren't cutting it. A little coffee and bailey's is good for sore feet, among other things.

I caught up with Andre in the bar, where he was reading incident reports.

View of Eagle Peak from the bar.

I put down 20 rides on the EPA and three on the backside...33,000 vertical feet. It was a great day--Dylan and I started on the groomers, poached a few runs on High Lead before they dropped the rope, and then hit the trees. The trees were, well, treacherous. I nailed a stump in the woods between Good Time and Eagles and had my lunch handed to me. All my stuff was buried. We also high Cherokee Ridge for the first time this season (awesome) and SDN. A dozen groms followed me in--and cut in front of Dylan. Fortunately, their coach understood the etiquette of the woods and let us have our line--which killed.

Today was great, but I'm super stoked for the next couple of days. Here's why:

North Cascades, Lane Co. Cascades

Weather Alert

Winter Storm Warning

*NOAA Issue Date: 12/30/2009 1:12 PM In effect from 6 Am to 9 Pm Pst Thursday for the north and central Oregon Cascades... The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow...which is in effect from 6 Am to 9 Pm Pst Thursday. The Winter Storm Watch for snow is no longer in effect. a strong Pacific storm system will approach Thursday...with heavy snow developing in the morning. Snow...heavy at times...will continue into Thursday evening. * timing...snow will develop Thursday morning...and increase in intensity by noon. * accumulations...2 to 4 feet are likely above 5000 feet...


Two to four feet! Yow! Nothing beats a great powder day better than another. Bring it on.

Happy new year indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment