Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Sunday

I probably have a blog entry with exactly the same title from last year, but I'm too lazy to look. Anyhow, as one might expect, the Super Bowl is no biggie in our household. It's worth a collective "meh" unless the Broncos are playing. Then we might pay attention. Maybe.

As I write this, the Colts are leading the Saints 16-13 in the third period. I missed the only part of the show I wanted to see: halftime with The Who. That's what we have YouTube for. Somebody's probably already posted it. I might make the effort to look it up, maybe not.

The conditions are such this season that The Pass seems to get a few inches every weekend--enough to keep conditions acceptable--but nothing to jump up and down about. Given that we've only had a few powder days, we have little motivation to leave early for first ride. Today we left around 11, got to the area at 12:30, and skied until 3:45. That was enough time for 12 runs and about 18,000 vertical feet. Not a big day for me, but since I've been hitting the tele's, it's more than adequate. I used the morning to read a couple more chapters in a book I'm reviewing, and let the birds out of our rafters that I trapped yesterday when I nailed a board over the eve vent. On that subject, we have a group of European Starlings that have been nesting in our roof for several years now. There's no upside to these trashy creatures. The downside is they crap all over our windows... among other things. So, this year I thought I would lock them out before they nested. I wasn't quite fast enough, but they're out now and will have to find another place to nest this year.

The conditions are also such that there is not a lot of motivation for me to alpine--no powder, no trees. Thus, I've been mostly telemarking for the past few weekends. Give's me a chance to do some runs with Diane, and slows me down a lot. That said, I am slowly gaining proficiency--and the required conditioning. Back in December I couldn't keep up with anyone and it hurt... a lot. Now, I'm ripping the groomers and starting to tackle the bumps. It's a work in progress.

From the department of bumper stickers I would purchase:

Diane and Dylan ride the Eagle Peak Accelerator.

Hey, wait for me!

Diane shows how to carve.

Dylan shows how to jump.

I. The grab

II. Jump the stump

III. Launching off the log jam... it's a lot bigger than it looks from this angle.

The weather was varied today, but it didn't rain. Bonus!

Reflections on Odell Lake.

Well, another Super Bowl mostly skipped. I guess I'll go watch the 4th quarter and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment