Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Other Things...


My lack of single-mindedness allowed me to learn a few other things. Like riding a bike. Or integration with trigonometric functions (a trick that I've forgotten over the 25 years since I learned it). Or taking pictures...

I admire people that can give up everything to focus on one thing. Olympic athletes for example. Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. Anyone that's ever been elected president of the United States (perhaps with one exception). While I suffer from a tendency to get overly focused on something for short periods of time, I value the experience that comes with doing a variety of things.

So, I did. For example, I like carpentry and was bold enough to remodel the entire upper level of our house with lots of assistance from Diane. I don't mind landscaping. Or roofing. Or my passenger skills (which I wish I got to work on more often... I'd rather ride than drive). Or a whole host of other things that are practical. Some things I don't like (plumbing), or became too complicated (most automotive maintenance).

I'm learning how to be a husband and father along the way. There's nothing like family to keep you focused on what is important. It's a work in progress, but I think I might be getting better at it. You'll have to ask Diane, Kayla, and Dylan about that part.

Or a thousand other things. In short, the stuff that makes up life (like being able to fix a toilet). Credit goes to my father, Jay, for teaching me that most of the everyday stuff was within comprehension of average, ordinary people. It doesn't hurt to be enterprising... and cheap... and to have someone instill an interest in how stuff works. And the spirit that if you don't know how to do something, you can learn.

My other main obsession is music. I won't claim any level of mastery at music, but I will admit that it was one of the two pillars of my misspent youth (skiing and guitar--in that order). Ma bought me an acoustic guitar for my high school graduation (which is featured on the solo on this song -- Winter's Eve -- that will be featured on a cd that we'll hopefully finish this year) . Within months I bought an electric guitar and amp, and within a year I had a band. Our enthusiasm far exceeded our skills, but that's a big part of rock music. I never got nervous back then--I just rose up. I do now...

I agreed to do a show on April 1st for a private reception for an art event associated with the McKenzie River Trust called the Living River. It will feature songs from my 2006 cd The Blue McKenzie and other more recent material. Guitarist Mark and bassist Gary will be joining me. Should be fun.

I also got a note last week from my all time guitar hero Gary Green who is an acquaintance through the mailing list I manage concern his former outfit Gentle Giant regarding a song I wrote called "Looks Good on Paper" (warning -- the link makes noise). Gary said he liked what I was doing and it was motivating him to get busy writing and recording. I find it impossible to evaluate the value of anything I write, so I rely on others whose opinions I value and believe to be objective. For me, that simple note was a validation that I might be on to something. Or not. Whatever, I'm just doing my thing although I would love to sell a song to, say, a movie studio to put my kids through school. Probably won't happen, but one can always hope. That's not what motivates me to write and play music anyway.

Anyway, that's getting a little far afield of the topical matter of this blog. But, since I'm author, I can take author's liberties.

Dylan was ridin' with his posse today.

Dylan works the box.

Diane is the other team photographer.

Diane summits EPA.

The lots looking a little dry.

Today was a carbon copy (I don't think that anyone actually uses that technology anymore...) of yesterday. Sunny and cold, but warm enough to soften the base up and provide a bit of spring conditions.

We may get stuck on the backside if we don't start getting some more snow soon. No worries, we'll enjoy what we've got.

1 comment:

  1. Naturally kick ass photos.

    I can't wait to see the ones from Colorado.

    ps. I listen to your tunes ALL THE TIME!

    ReplyDelete