Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

December 24, 2010
9:48am

Well then.

For the first time in over a week I didn't hack up a lung when I got up. Only half a lung. We'll call that progress.

As one might ascertain from the date and time above, we're getting a fresh early start today. For anyone that questions our wisdom, I refer you to rule #3 of the local mountain guide (see post c.f. December 19, 2010). This early start allowed me to get going on dinner preparations (pork tenderloin with a teriyaki glaze, scalloped potatoes, broccoli, salad, and our own special basil garlic bread.) Come on over.

December 24th, 2010
8:00 pm

Home now after a great day of skiing. The illness got the best of Diane, so Dylan and I went up. We took a warm up, and then Dylan wanted to head to SDN to show my the cliff jumps. I struggled through the steep, narrow tree shots--there was no fresh snow to shred through.

Dylan hucks it in the trees.

Skies of wonder abound on the blessed eve.

Skies of wonder II:

Skies of wonder III:

Skies of wonder IV (note Dylan down below):

Skies of wonder V:

Skies of wonder VI:

Skies of wonder VII (Mt Yoran):

Skies of wonder VIII:

Skies of wonder IX (it's windy up here!):

Snowboarding gives you wings!

I'll go out on a limb and suggest this may be one of the best of the several thousand photos I've taken on the mountain. I'm no pro (it sounds like an ok job to me, however), but I seem to get a few good shots here and there. This one is enhanced by the cloud cover. I tried several times to get that shot; it was simply a matter of luck (and a lot of practice with the little Canon camera I use) that it turned out as well as it did. I got it by laying down on the ramp of the jump on riders right (to take advantage of the lighting). The shutter snap was instinctive--a millisecond separates a great shot from a useless one. All of the elements of this one work--the position of the sun and clouds, the grab, the rider's proximity to the trees, even the flex on Dylan's snowboard is just right.

I really enjoy ski photography. I have very few shots from when I was younger--it was not that I did not have the equipment--but more a function of the ordeal of toting it around and using it. Despite photography classes and considerable coaching in the darkroom by my Grandfather, it was very difficult for me to figure out the right exposure settings. The digital cameras changed all that. The camera I use is about the size of a wallet. I stick it in the chest pocket of my North Face jacket (which, by the way is a very intelligently designed piece of outerwear). I leave it on auto settings. It takes less than a second to switch from camera to video. Setting up shots is not a huge disruption--I usually peel down in front of Dylan and set up and within a few seconds it's all over and we're onto the next thing.

Word is that Santa (Diane) is upgrading my camera. Joy, excitement, photos! More about that later.

We head down to twilight to see if T-Dawg is around. He's helping out aspiring riders. What a good guy.

T-Dawg.

What a joy it is to spend a winter day in the mountains enjoying the outdoors. Even though we go to the same place all the time, each day is unique--the weather, the snow, the people. Thanks to my parents for instilling a lifetime obsession with skiing. Thanks to my wife for playing along and thanks to my kids for sharing The Love.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Love that one of Dylan flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt, let us know if you are ever up at The Pass anymore. We're skiing every weekend.

    ReplyDelete