Monday, December 27, 2010

Eyes of the World

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

Lyrics to one of the more poigniant Grateful Dead songs (here's one of many versions if you have no clue what I'm talking about).

My eyes on the ski world consisted of the Canon SD750 until Saturday when my sweetheart bought me an upgrade. As the photo below shows, the Canon was 7.1 megapixels. Not bad.

But only half as good as the Panasonic Lumix 14 mega pixel upgrade. She thought the quality of photos published here and in our personal archive could stand and upgrade.

Upgrade. Indeed. Thanks Diane!

Dylan told me that I should not have tested out new equipment on a powder day. Whining is all I get from him these days.

Today we had another 6" of fresh. La Nina continues to deliver the goods.

Tyler explains why the chairs have to be respaced yet again to the anxious customers. Most of them were kinder than I was...

I've been at this long enough that I'll eventually begin to repeat stories because I'm too lazy to check back on the archives to see what I have and have not written about. At any rate, Tyler told us they had to respace the chairs so they were stopping the lift. I asked why they didn't do that before they open in the morning. We got a story about the wind...I didn't buy it.

This reminded me of New Year's Eve in probably 2005 or 06. It was a beautiful sunny day to close on the old year with some skiing. Dave was down and we were waiting in line at EPA when they announced it was closed to respace the chairs. As we were walking to Twilight, I ran into Kayla, who was working at the time as a snowboard instructor. I made some snide remarks about the timing and Tim the owner overheard me. We exchanged a few words (he claimed I was demoralizing the help...I'm pretty sure he didn't need me to do that), I questioned why he closed the lift in the middle of the day to respace the chairs. I also asserted that he was being cheap and that the resort would be better off if it focused a tiny bit on customer service.

Lot of good that did (see item #10 on Bob's Local Mountain Guide).

Back to the camera. Fourteen (count 'em, 14) mega pixels of photographic data as Dylan shreds the trees.

We headed over to check the scene on SDN. It was pretty awesome. Dylan braves the wind flurries at the top.

...and makes some nice turns down below.

Snowplosion II!

Dylan was mighty stoked today. He's been wanting to learn some new tricks and has been working on front flips when the conditions are acceptable. They were today. Moreover, I suggested that the road at the top that connects Rosary to Perseverance was the ideal huck site. Dylan was skeptical at first, but came around to see the light.

Huck.

Here's another version taken with the rapid fire mode (known as "hi-speed burst" in the camera settings).









That all took place in the span of a couple of seconds.

Here's a video version of another attempt.

He's getting close to having it nailed. A few more powder days and ff will be in the bag.

One last high-resolution blast through the trees.

I think this new camera is going to work out just fine. I need a little time with the manual and a bit more practice and to remember to charge the battery, but other than that, just fine.

I'll leave you with the full version of "Eyes of the World" (Hunter/Garcia)
Right outside this lazy summer home
you ain't got time to call your soul a critic no.
Right outside the lazy gate of winter's summer home,
wond'rin' where the nut-thatch winters,
wings a mile long just carried the bird away.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world,
the heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own.
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the mornin' brings,
But the heart has it's seasons, it's evenin's and songs of it's own.

There comes a redeemer, and he slowly too fades away,
And there follows his wagon behind him that's loaded with clay.
And the seeds that were silent all burst into bloom, and decay,
and night comes so quiet, it's close on the heels of the day.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world,
the heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own.
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the mornin' brings,
But the heart has it's seasons, it's evenin's and songs of it's own.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own,
And sometimes we visit your country and live in your home,
sometimes we ride on your horses, sometimes we walk alone,
sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world,
the heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own.
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the mornin' brings,
But the heart has it's seasons, it's evenin's and songs of it's own.


Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment