Monday, January 16, 2012

Finally...

Monday, January 16, 2011
MLK Day

This entry marks the 100th post to this blog. That must be some kind of threshold, right? At a minimum, it is the 100th post to this blog, which means that I've skied 100 days since I started. Not bad for 3 1/3 seasons. It should strengthen my resolve to go more.

Good news today. Finally...finally it snowed. We got dusted in town and got an early start and caught the sunrise.

The roads were pretty treacherous for the rookies who were dumb enough to try to drive to work on black ice. At least five cars were in the ditch on the drive up.

For us, it was a holiday. Dylan's pal Keith rode with us today.

The sun was shining on the first ride up. Note that most of the bushes visible on By George last week are now covered. The forecast calls for snow all week. We've got a cold front moving down from Alaska colliding with moisture coming in from the Pacific. With any luck the entire mountain will be open by next weekend.

Pow, we got pow. 12" in the past two days which made for great shredding. Dylan tears it up.

I.

II.

At least once a year I manage to leave something at home. Today's dopey move was to leave my snow pants. Bad call. Bad day to forget. I was in my standard base layer and I usually don't wear thermal underwear because I don't get that cold. I got Dylan to let me use his, which made it almost bearable. I figured I would get about two runs in before I was completely soaked. Amazingly, the fleece repels water and I got eight runs in before I couldn't take it anymore. The crowd had pretty well ravaged all of the decent snow on the backside by then.

I took a break in the car to warm up.

I warmed up enough to go out for a few more runs, but that didn't last long. I went to the lodge and got some coffee and hung out. It was a good reminder to throw some reading material in the car.

Things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment