Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ski Tracks

April 16, 2012
Closing Day

Well, here it is too soon.

A few weeks ago Diane got me one of those so-called "smart" phones. I told her I didn't really need it, but my dumb phone was not only dumb and old, but didn't get reception in many places that it should (like my office, or at The Pass). So, these smart phones can use all these apps that do clever things that make the phone smart.

When we were in Colorado, Dave Henre had a program on his phone called Ski Tracks. It looked pretty cool--basically it keeps all kinds of stats about your ski day using the built in GPS tracking device that all mobile phones have.

Here's the main interface. It show speed, distance, vert, altitude, runs, slope, and duration. We didn't go for very long today, but I went fast as usual.

It also has the capacity to link in photos, music and other features that I'll probably never bother to learn.

It provides a graphic display of altitude and speed. I see a correlation in there somewhere...

It also plots where you went...down to the level of detail of showing when you stop in the trees to relieve yourself.

Pretty amazing stuff, eh? A little scary too--if you can track yourself at that level, you can be tracked...not that I can imagine any reason anyone would care to track me. Nonetheless, it's not more of an intrusion than the chips they stick in season passes at most ski areas. Moreover, it doesn't require me to log into a web site like EpicMix or other programs. It's cool that ski areas are making use of the technology to find better and less intrusive ways for people to record their experiences.

That all said, I've probably gone overboard and need to just chill on the photos and stuff and get back to skiing. I probably won't do that just yet, but at some point the blog will run it's course.

Shiny, happy skiers

It was pretty nice out today.

Dylan works his way down Success from the top of Eagle Peak.

You didn't...I did. Where do we go from here?

Diane charges By George.

Stung by the Rossingnol ski wasp.

The weather didn't cooperate this season. We got 47 cumulative days on our family pass (compared to 82 last year); I got 21 at The Pass and 3 in Colorado. Injuries didn't help either--Diane's ribs and my back both kept us from going more. But...I'll take 25 trips to the mountains any winter over the alternative of staying home.

Well, that's it for this season unless we decide to do a Bachelor or Hood day. Or get really crazy and hike to the top of a volcano and ski down. You never know.

See ya next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment