Tuesday, December 22, 2015

12" v. 1" = Change of Plans

December 21, 2015
6:30am

The plan today was to get up at 6 and leave for Winter Park at 6:30 to meet ski buddy Tom and Cousin Craig and his son Cole.  Tom texted at 6am that he couldn't make it.  I looked at the Winter Park snow report at it said 1".  Then I looked at the Steamboat report and it said 12". What a dilemma.

I kind of knew what I wanted to do.  Dylan sealed it...why drive 2 hours to Winter Park for essentially nothing when we had a gift staring us in the face right here in Steamboat. Dylan didn't see any reason to pack our stuff up and leave either so we got ready to stay. 

I had to run down to Gondola Square to cash in my final voucher that Scott sent my way. I met Dylan by the stage and we decided to hit the Christie rather than wait in line for the Gondola.  Game plan was same as yesterday--lower mountain.  Visibility was better and everyone was heading up. 

Speaking of everyone, there were a lot more everyones out today.  That makes sense because it is Christmas week and folks from all over are showing.  I think we rode the life with people from Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Colorado, Illinois, and a few other states I can't remember because there were so many of them.  Good for them--they get to enjoy skiing too.

Vertigo was not quite the private reserve it was yesterday, but it was still pretty ok.  We did a few Oops/Vertigo laps to warm up.  Oops was not great for me--lots of odd transitions and bushes that made it challeging.

We make a little kicker on the bottom of Vertigo yesterday that was still there today.  Dylan hit it repeatedly.

I.

II.







III.







IV.


There was more like 6" since yesterday.  We figured that they counted from the last 24 hours.  Nonetheless, it was a great way to wrap up a four day run.

The Thunderhead Lodge.


Tree birds outside Kayla's place in Mountain Village.

We called it about 12:30 today. We were both tired and wanted to head back before it got dark.  That kind of happened.  We got locked out of the condo so Kayla had to come rescue us. That was nice since we got to see her one more time.  We got packed up and left around 2:30.  The drive was fine until we got into the Poudre Canyon and it got dark.  It was snowing like crazy, visibility was limited, and the road was really slick.  Thus, a 3-hour drive ended up taking four.  Alas we made it back safe and sound.

It's been a good visit, but I'm looking forward to getting back to Eugene.  Willamette Pass got 14" in the last 24 hours so it sounds like Oregon skiing is on!  As nice as Steamboat is, I'll take Willamette trees over Steamboat any day. I'll head out early Thursday morning. Can't wait to see Diane and the pups!






1 comment: