Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring Blusters

March 24, 2012

Have I mentioned that it’s been a strange winter? At least as far as the weather is concerned. After a November dusting, we got six straight weeks of dry and The Pass didn’t open until January 4th—latest ever in the 25 years I’ve been in Oregon. We had a few decent days in January, and then the February dry spell.

March is typically the wettest month here, so we were holding on to the hope that it would deliver. It has, but not necessarily in the way we might wish. The temperature keeps hovering just a little below optimal so that it snows and then thaws. The freeze / thaw cycle is a killer when it comes to snow conditions. Especially when there’s a lot of it. Nothing will kill a good powder base like a thaw that leaves an inch thick crust on top of it.

By mid-March, we were getting snow in town on a pretty regular basis. I didn’t keep track, but I’ll bet we had snow on the ground at our house five or six times. The last one was the heaviest.

Waking up to fresh snow (March 21).



The tape says a 10” base at the Parker residence.

Kodi doesn't know what to think.


One would think that with that much snow in town it would be in the feet at the passes. Well, it was on Santiam Pass 20 miles north of Willamette Pass. They got 23”. Willamette got 3”. So much for the awesome powder week…it didn’t matter, I had to work on Wednesday and Thursday anyway.

Diane is braver than I am...I usually wear a hat.

Nice jacket!

But, if I had an orange jacket like these guys, people would really pay attention.

It was really windy and pretty chilly at the top. Diane broke down and put up the hood.

Diane takes the Eagle's Flight.

I.

II.

Diane snapped a few of Dylan and I.

I.

II.

We're hoping that it either snows a bunch or gets sunny...this week is spring break and I get to take a day or two off.

No comments:

Post a Comment