Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Beaver Creek - Day 1


March 7, 2022

Beaver Creek - Day 1


Woke up a little tired and sore, but nothing too bad. It snowed a couple inches overnight so we were all ready to get up and go. We waited quite a while for the bus over to the gondola - it's maybe a 10 minute walk and there was a pretty big line backed up at the lift. We found out that people were standing around thinking the lift was closed because there wasn't a lifty there to tell them to get on. 

We finally got on and got up to Bachelor Gulch. From there we went over to Larkspur and directly up Grouse Mountain to ski Screech Owl, a double-black bump run. This is where my lack of conditioning plus the altitude became apparent. It wasn't a problem to ski, but I certainly wasn't doing it the way I wanted to. Age hasn't helped either.

 Later we went over to the Rose Bowl and did the Stone Creek Chutes. Specifically, Aspen chute. It was challenging, but conditions weren't great. Our selection of line wasn't ideal either. We ended up trapped between a couple of big rocks. Garth went down and looked over a 15' drop. I decided to cut skiers left and found a better line.

 Parker in the Stone Creek Chutes.











Lots of family pix on this trip. I'll try to get more action shots later in the week.

The Fawcetts.









Garth and Parker.









I could post a bunch more family shots, but there will be better ones and a lot so I'm stopping here. Plus, I'm struggling to keep the blog up to date.

The skiing was good today - the little snow helped and conditions are improving. Forecast is for more snow tomorrow (Tuesday).  Looks like I picked a good week.


No comments:

Post a Comment