Friday, March 25, 2022

Beaver Creek - Day 6 - Sunshine Daydream

March 12, 2022

Beaver Creek Resort


It warmed up a bunch today. It's also Saturday and the first day of Spring Break so we expect the crowds will be much bigger.

More action shots today.

Sharon, Quinn and Brooke on Harrier











Quinn.











Brooke.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Garth. 











Catherine.







 




Catherine and Parker











Catherine.











It warmed up enough to go over to the Arrowhead Base and sit in the sun. It was lovely.












 

Cam, Quinn and Baby Snooks showing off her terminator shades.











Quinn and Chelsea












Working on my Ian Anderson vibe. I just need the flute...and a ton more talent.













The gang.




 

 

 

Brooke, Parker, Garth and Catherine











Turned out to be a great day. We got our 23k of vert in again. I'm a bit worn out after six days of hard skiing, but hey, Carpe Diem! 

Overall, this week felt pretty good. I have not forgotten how to ski (not that I thought I would) and I did a reasonable job of keeping up. On the downside, I'm starting to feel my age and all the ways I've mistreated my body over the decades. My knees complain a lot more, my legs get tired, and I feel the altitude more than I ever have. It's noticeable -- walking up a flight of stairs and I can feel it. Somewhat surprisingly, it did not seem to affect me skiing as much although it's a bit humbling to not be in as good of condition as Garth and Catherine. There's ways to remedy that, but it will take a lot of work to do it in Florida. The best way is to spend lots of time at altitude. At any rate, all the stuff they say about losing muscle mass and conditioning in your 60's is proving true in my case.

What I did appreciate was to spend the week hanging out with family. I decided years ago that skiing by myself is not as much fun but was quite tolerable on a powder day. We had lots of those at Willamette and I sure appreciated them then and do moreso now that skiing has become a zoo. Having a mountain with secret stashes that would last days was pretty special.  Anyway, back to family. This is the most time I've spent with my sisters in years. It was great to reconnect with Parker and Quinn who are both lovely people and great fun to hang with. Brooke is also a kick and baby snooks is darling. The Mills are also fun loving folk who know how to party. I'll have to work on my staying up later and socializing game for next time.

Hopefully I'll be back in a couple of years! Onward and northward to Steamboat!




No comments:

Post a Comment